Deputy Head of Admissions (FE and UG)
9 September 2022 23:55
This role is responsible for the delivery of a University-wide professional Home, EU, and International admissions function at FE/UG level, through the stages of application, offer, and conversion to enrolment.
The postholder will develop and implement admissions policy and processes in line with sector best practice, and make a significant contribution to enhancing the applicant experience. They will plan and deliver effective, sector-leading frontline services to applicants, managing available resources to maximise efficiency, and identifying and implementing change and continuous improvement projects.
It is expected that the postholder will have the drive and personal presence to represent SMRA across the University, and drive engagement and buy-in from a wide range of key stakeholders (academic and professional) related to student recruitment. They should have the political acumen and communication skills to enable them to be effective and influential across all levels.
They will lead develop and empower a team of admissions staff, taking responsibility for managing and measuring performance, to ensure successful delivery of both SMRA and University wide strategic objectives relating to student recruitment.
For the fourth year running, University of the Arts London is the world’s second University for Art and Design in the QS World University Rankings® 2022. We are a vibrant world centre for creativity, bringing together 20,000 students at six colleges with international reputations in art, design, fashion, communication and performing arts.
UAL offers generous leave, pension and a commitment to your continuing personal development and training in an environment that encourages excellence, creativity and diversity.
Key elements of the person specification include:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in an appropriate discipline
- Extensive knowledge of HE admissions practices and frameworks, across UK and international markets
- Considerable experience of higher education admissions, specifically the student journey from application, through offer to enrolment, across UK, EU, and international markets.
- Ability to lead within and proactively advocate for a customer service culture.
- Considerable experience of managing an admissions function and/or customer service team.
- Experience of enhancing applicant experience via the identification and implementation of change and continuous improvement projects (including process and systems).
- Experience of leading, developing, and empowering a team of admissions staff, taking responsibility for managing and measuring team performance.
- Experience of creating a positive, high-performing and collaborative working culture within their team.
- Experience of developing excellent working relationships with other teams involved in the delivery of successful HE recruitment.
- Experience of driving engagement and buy-in from a wide range of key stakeholders (academic and professional) in student recruitment.
- Experience of negotiating and influencing colleagues across all levels, including senior management.
- Experience of using appropriate levels of IT skills including use of a Student Record System and other software systems, to enable data analysis and make system enhancements.
- Communicates effectively orally and in writing adapting the message for a diverse audience in an inclusive and accessible way.
- Motivates and leads a team effectively, setting clear objectives to manage performance
- Plans, prioritises, and manages resources effectively to achieve long term objectives
If you have any general queries, you may contact Leila Farrance, Resourcing Adviser via email PSOstaffrecruitment@arts.ac.uk.
UAL is committed to creating diverse and inclusive environments for all staff and students to work and learn – a university where we can be ourselves and reach our full potential. We offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and Staff Support Networks. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds, including race, disability, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion and belief, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, and caring responsibility.
Candidates are advised to submit applications early.
This opportunity is closed to applications.