Research & Development Project Lead (BFTT Partnership)
27 January 2020 23:55
This post is an exciting opportunity for a Post Graduate, or Post-Doctoral Researcher (or equivalent demonstrable industry /research experience) to work as the Research & Development (R&D) Project Lead, facilitating a novel collaborative project between the London College of Fashion (UAL) and Doppelhaus Ltd.
The successful candidate will work with the management and R&D teams at Doppelhaus Ltd, a textile company specialising in developing novel non-woven, sustainable fabrics and research experts in design and nonwoven textiles at the London College of Fashion, University of the Arts London.
The principal aim of the Doppelhaus project is to create a sustainable and affordable nonwoven textile which can be incorporated into the market and offset some of the environmental impacts of ‘fast fashion’. The main purpose of this role is to work collaboratively with the Academic Mentor for this project and the Company Leads leading on the delivery of the R&D project’s key objective to assess the feasibility of developing a new non-woven and affordable fashion fabric with a fully British-based supply-chain. This is a key role for the project and requires an experienced researcher with appropriate industry experience in nonwoven textiles and nonwoven manufacturing and an interest and/or experience in applied and collaborative research. The role also requires excellent organisational and project management skills.
University of the Arts London is a vibrant world centre for innovation, drawing together six colleges with international reputations in art, design, fashion, communication and performing arts. UAL is a world top-two university for art and design in the QS World University Rankings® 2019. We offer an extensive range of courses in art, design, fashion, communication and performing arts. Our graduates go on to work in and shape the creative industries worldwide. Our research addresses local, national and global issues, in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework 83% of our research was rated world leading or internationally excellent.
- PG or Doctoral qualification in the area of nonwovens/textile/materials within a sustainable and/or circular economy context, or equivalent and relevant research and/or industry experience. (essential)
- Comprehensive knowledge of nonwoven textile manufacturing area gained through research and/or relevant R&D industry work. (essential)
- Knowledge of IP and commercialisation. (desirable)
- Experience related to nonwovens/textile/material design and/or material development methods. (essential)
- Experience of undertaking research and/or R&D with external collaborators. (desirable)
- Quantitative and qualitative research skills suited to the analysis of textile performance. (essential)
- Excellent organisational and project management skills. (essential)
If you have any queries contact ADS Recruitment Team via email ADSstaffRecruitment@arts.ac.uk or telephone: 02075142965 / 9627
UAL is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive university - a place where we all can be ourselves and reach our full potential in our work, learning and creative practice. We offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and Staff Support Networks. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds, including race, disability, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion and belief, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, and caring responsibility.
Candidates are advised to submit applications early.
This opportunity is closed to applications.