Non Woven Research & Development Project Lead (BFTT Partnership) Maternity Cover
15 July 2020 23:55
This post is an exciting opportunity for a Post Graduate, or Post-Doctoral Researcher (or equivalent demonstrable industry /research experience) to work as the Research & Development (R&D) Project Lead, facilitating a novel collaborative project, between the Centre for Circular Design (UAL) and Ananas Anam Ltd.
The successful candidate will work with the management, R&D and commercial teams at Ananas Anam Ltd., a company that has developed and manufactures Piñatex®, an innovative bio-material made from pineapple leaf fibre, and research experts in the Centre for Circular Design at the Chelsea School of Art, University of the Arts London.
The main purpose of this role is to facilitate and manage the delivery of the R&D project’s key objectives including: improving the aesthetics and properties of Piñatex (such as waterproofing, abrasion resistance and drape); identifying and testing sustainable and accessible technologies to achieve the above qualities (such as laser, sonic and embossing); and producing a viable plan for scaling-up the developed processes ready for commercialisation.
This is a key role for the project and requires an experienced researcher with appropriate industry experience in non-woven material development, appropriate production and finishing technologies and sustainability, as well as an interest and/or experience in applied and collaborative research. The role also requires excellent organisational and project management skills.
- PG or Higher qualification in the area of materials development and finishing technologies or equivalent and relevant research and/or industry experience. (essential)
- Comprehensive knowledge of UK non-woven textiles sector gained through research and/or relevant R&D industry work. (essential)
- Experience of working on material performance and finishing technologies at sampling and prototype stages. (essential)
- Quantitative and qualitative research skills suited to the analysis of sustainability, material performance and associated technology. (essential)
- Knowledge of circular and sustainable design models within the fashion/materials space. (desirable)
- Experience related to sustainable non-woven textile sector and markets and familiar with bio-based fibres and appropriate bio-finishes.(desirable)
- Experience of undertaking research and/or R&D with external collaborators. (desirable)
- Excellent organisational and project management skills. (essential)
- Strong presentation skills. (desirable)
If you have any queries contact ADS Recruitment Team via email ADSstaffRecruitment@arts.ac.uk or telephone: 02075142965 / 9627
UAL is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive university - a place where we all can be ourselves and reach our full potential in our work, learning and creative practice. We offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and Staff Support Networks. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds, including race, disability, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion and belief, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, and caring responsibility.
Candidates are advised to submit applications early.