Director of Digital Transformation
28 April 2019 23:55
Purpose of Job:
To work with the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) and Pro Vice-Chancellor (Digital) and cross university stakeholders to create and deliver a vision for the digital ecology of UAL and drive forward a programme of strategic digital transformation.
To provide senior dedicated leadership in the creation and implementation of the UAL Digital Vision and Strategy, and digital change programmes, to ensure that UAL develops a world leading digital environment that allows our staff, students and graduates to respond to the needs of, as well as shape, the creative digital arts and industries.
To work collaboratively with key stakeholders including the Pro Vice-Chancellors/Heads of College, College Digital Leads, Dean of Teaching and Learning, Director of IT Services, Director of Library and Student Support Services and the Dean of the Institute of Creative Computing to identify and realise academic digital developments, develop digital learning and teaching methods, and enhance digital expertise within the organisation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To be an agent for change, championing and supporting digital transformation across UAL.
- To work with the Pro Vice-Chancellor: Digital and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) to lead the development and implementation of the UAL Digital Vision and Strategy to ensure the development of high quality, innovative and creative digital provision at UAL in terms of taught programmes, research, innovation and academic enterprise.
- To build and develop digital communities across UAL, working collaboratively with the colleges to fully understand their particular practices and needs.
- To work at a strategic level with stakeholders to identify, prioritise, lead and manage digital transformation opportunities and to translate strategic intent into change initiatives, programmes, projects or task groups, designing implementation plans that are credible in terms of resource requirements, timescales and outcomes.
- To contribute to the development plans for the new campuses at Stratford and Elephant and Castle to ensure that our new sites are equipped to respond to new developments in digital pedagogy and modes of delivery and in turn that these new developments are shared across UAL to engender a digital step change across the University.
- To work collaboratively with Pro Vice-Chancellors/Heads of College and their nominated leads to develop the digital offer at UAL, supporting the development of courses and programmes that complement and build on our existing portfolio whilst responding to the rapidly transforming needs of industry and recruitment markets, ensuring that UAL graduates are fully equipped for their digital working lives.
- To lead and drive forward innovations in digital teaching and learning both within UAL and externally, and to be the point of knowledge and expertise for the University.
- To contribute to excellence in teaching and learning across UAL and to stay abreast of developments in digital teaching and learning through professional practice and ensuring that these developments are reflected in the learning and teaching methods across UAL.
- To work collaboratively with stakeholders, building on existing digital partnerships and developing new collaborations to enhance the student experience and graduate outcomes.
- To develop a culture in which people are focussed on digital and accordingly rethink ways of working.
- Work with the Director of HR to develop an academic digital CPD programme for staff and to support them in developing their skills and understanding.
- Ensure digital change programmes comply with UAL’s governance oversight and risk management.
- Provide financial and risk management oversight.
- Ensure projects are conducted in a way that is efficient and effective, representing best value for money.
- Relevant Post Graduate qualification.
- PhD or significant and demonstrable research credibility.
- Demonstrable knowledge of academic provision, trends and issues in UK HE.
- Experience of leading and managing digital change, to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of academic activities.
- Relevant experience of Quality Assurance policy, processes and procedures.
- Relevant experience of developing teaching and learning strategies and methodologies with regards to leading digital development.
- Considerable experience of leadership and management including effective management of resources and budgets.
- Experience of successful management and delivery of digital transformational change, including culture change and managing stakeholder expectations.
- Demonstrable experience of developing and sharing best practice within and outside the organisation.
- Communicates persuasively and with gravitas adapting the style and message to a diverse internal or external audience in an inclusive and accessible way.
- Motivates and leads effectively, setting the strategic direction and promoting collaboration across formal boundaries.
- Contributes to advancing professional practice/research or scholarly activity in own area of specialism including external networks and conferences.
- Effectively plans, prioritises and manages the delivery of complex projects or activities to achieve long term strategic objectives.
- Contributes effectively to a senior leadership team, setting the strategic direction for one or more function and fosters constructive relationships across the organisation.
- Provides effective strategic leadership for enhancing the student or customer experience to promote an inclusive environment for students, colleagues or customers.
- Initiates innovative solutions to problems which have a strategic impact.
Posting date - Friday, 29 March 2019
Closing date - Sunday, 28 April 2019
If you have any queries you may contact ADS Recruitment via email ADSrecruitment@arts.ac.uk or telephone: 020 7514 2965.
Candidates are advised to submit applications early.
This opportunity is closed to applications.